Today is July 31, and every Harry Potter fan knows that what means: it’s Harry’s birthday, and J.K. Rowling’s too! In honor of their special day, I’m going to do the Ultimate Harry Potter Tag. Steph over at Lost: Purple Quill did this tag a while ago, and that’s where I found it. Give her blog a read–her book reviews and tags are always great fun!
1. Favorite book?
I love The Sorcerer’s Stone or, as I prefer to think of it, The Philosopher’s Stone. (Why did publishers think that Americans wouldn’t read something with “Philosopher” in the title??? The Philosopher’s Stone is an actual legendary thing; there’s no such thing as a Sorcerer’s Stone!) It’s my comfort read–it’s so cute and nostalgic for me.
2. Least favorite book?
Order of the Phoenix. The D.A. was awesome, but I just wanted to punch Harry in the face the whole time. He was so angsty.
3. Favorite movie?
I’m not a huge fan of any of the movies, but I did like The Chamber of Secrets. They stuck to the book pretty well, and Kenneth Branagh was HILARIOUS as Lockhart.
4. Least favorite movie?
Probably The Half-Blood Prince. It was a huge mess, and I can’t stand Michael Gambon’s Dumbledore.
5. Favorite quote?
“One can never have enough socks.”
6. Favorite Weasley?
Oh man, this is so hard. I’d have to say Molly. She’s my role model.
7. Favorite female character?
Hermione. She’s just so awesome, brave, kind, and smart. How could she not be my favorite?
8. Favorite villain?
Does Lockhart count? He has a villain-y moment in The Chamber of Secrets, right? Yeah, he’s my favorite villain. He’s the worst teacher ever, and he’s so freaking conceited.
9. Favorite male character?
Neville! Need I say more?
10. Favorite professor?
McGonagall. I love how much she hates Umbridge and tries to undermine her at every possible moment.
Would you rather…
11. A, wash Snape’s hair, or B, spend a day listening to Lockhart rant about himself?
Um, B. That would be funny. Washing Snape’s hair would be disgusting.
12. Duel A, an elated Bellatrix, or B, an angry Molly?
How about neither? If I had to choose… Bellatrix. Hopefully, she’d be so full of herself that she’d let her guard down.
13. Travel to Hogwarts via A, Hogwarts Express, or B, flying car?
Hogwarts Express! I want the whole experience, Pumpkin Pasties and all.
14. A, kiss Voldemort, or B, give Umbridge a bubble bath?
EWWWW! Let’s go with B. Maybe I could drown her in the process.
15. A, ride a hippogriff, or B, ride a Firebolt?
A Firebolt, of course! Firebolts can’t bite if they’re mad.
Book to movie adaption
16. Is there a character you felt differently about in the movies vs. the books?
Yes. Book Ginny is loud and spirited. Movie Ginny is too subtle.
17. Is there a movie you preferred to the book?
Of course not!
18. Richard Harris or Michael Gambon as Dumbledore?
Richard Harris! Rest in peace, calm father-figure Dumbledore who isn’t trying to turn Dumbledore into a knockoff Gandalf. Rest in peace.
19. Your top thing (person or event) which wasn’t included in the movie that annoyed you most.
A good explanation of the houses. In the first movie, they’re just like, “There are four houses, Slytherins are mean, Gryffindors are cool, now go put on the hat.”
20. If you could remake any of the Potter movies, which would it be?
All of them…? Like I said, I’m not a huge fan. I don’t think they did a good job preserving the original spirit of the books.
21. Which house was your first gut feeling you’d be a part of?
Ravenclaw. Little MoMo thought she was the smartest person ever to walk the planet. She was positive there was a place in Ravenclaw waiting for her.
22. Which house were you actually sorted into on Pottemore (or another online sorting quiz)?
Little MoMo was appalled when Pottermore placed her in Hufflepuff. But these days, I’m proud to be in Hufflepuff. Sure, I’m not always patient or unafraid of toil, but I value goodness above wit or bravery or cunning. I’m thrilled that the badgers have allowed me into their company!
23. Which class would be your favorite?
When I was little, I always wanted to take Charms. But now, I love cooking and concocting, so I think Potions would be my favorite as long as Snape wasn’t the teacher. Also, can we move it out of the dungeons, please?
24. Which spell do you think would be most useful to learn?
Accio. I lose stuff all the time, and I hate having to stand up and go get something that’s across the room. Accio would enable my laziness.
25. Which character do you think at Hogwarts you’d instantly become best friends with?
I always wanted to hang out with Dean and Seamus. They seemed fun and chill.
26. If you could own one of the three Hallows, which would it be?
Invisibility Cloak. No Elder Wand or Resurrection Stone for me, thanks.
27. Is there any aspect of the books you’d want to change? This can be a character, an event, anything.
I hated how everyone immediately started singing Snape’s praises after he was dead. I mean, the double agent thing was cool, but he was an even worse teacher than Lockhart. I hated how he always played favorites with the Slytherins, deducted points from every other house, and bullied students incessantly. There’s no excuse for insulting Hermione’s appearance, abusing Neville’s toad, or any of the other jerky things he did to Harry and his friends for their entire school careers.
28. Favorite marauder?
Remus! He’s the nicest and gentlest of the bunch.
29. If you could bring one character back to life, which would it be?
Fred. As a twin, I know how painful losing Fred must have been for George.
30. Hallows or horcruxes?
Hallows! Isn’t that the point of the series?
Whew, that was fun! I tag every Harry Potter fan who thinks they’d enjoy doing this tag.
And I’d like to hear from you. What do you think about my answers? How are you celebrating Harry’s birthday? Let me know in comments!